Hello, friends! If you recall, yesterday I made a post about how I was nominated for a Versatile Blogger Award, which was super cool, but looook! I received another award nomination! This time, from the wonderful Megan, over at A Geeky Gal. Thank you, Megan! She nominated me for a Blogger Recognition Award! So, here we go.
- Thank the blogger that nominated you and give a link to their site.
- Do a post to show your award.
- Give a summary of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice for any new bloggers.
- Select at least 15 other bloggers for this award.
- Let each nominee know you’ve nominated them and give a link to your post.
The Humble Beginnings of The Life of Jan:
I have a long history of blogging. I started my very first blog back in 2003/2004 on Teen Open Diary (is that site even still live?). At first, it was mostly dark poetry, and emo rants about how horrible my life was, as well as some cool, custom html on the landing page. I thought I was a total badass. I later made not one, but two Harry Potter role-playing blogs, where I would collaborate with other writers in the RP community, and create short stories about my characters in the world of Harry Potter. I then bounced around from site to site, creating blogs on whatever site was the most popular at the time. I had blogs dedicated to movie reviews, poetry, my personal life, and a bit later down the road, my podcast. After I retired my podcast, after a wonderful two years, I created this blog, where I wrote about all of the above, as well as my love for gaming, and my newborn son (who is now nearly four years old, wtf?). And here we are!
My Advice for New Bloggers:
- Consistency is a nice thought, but don’t let it consume you. If there’s a day where you just can’t find time to sit and write, or you’re just not feeling great about it, then don’t sweat it. If you force yourself to write something that you’re not happy with, then that will come across with your writing, and you will end up resenting everything, and spiral into a pit of despair, eventually leading to you deleting your blog, and throwing your computer out the window. Don’t do that.
- Don’t focus on numbers. Just don’t. You’ll drive yourself crazy. If you keep writing engaging content, and being an active member of the blogging community, then the clicks will come with time. Be patient.
I’m going to be a bit of a wet blanket here, and say that I’m not going to tag any other bloggers. I don’t have a lot of friends or connections in the blogging community, and I already nominated a ton of them yesterday for another award. I’m not a fan of spam, and I don’t think many other people are either. These awards are cool, but a lot of the time, they are all just the same thing, just with a different name and graphic attached. On top of that, Megan already nominated everyone that I would have nominated… so… I guess I’ll just end this here. Thanks again for the nomination, Megan!
Thanks for reading, friends. Happy Saturday!